Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Art of Texting

We break down the complexity of texting into text bombs, politics and the 27-minute rule. You're welcome!
 pederost:

James Prebble
Sean and I continued to text throughout the week. If you know me – which you don’t, cuz I’m just some girl – you’d know that I’m a maniacal texter when I’m not busy. The only time I’m actually busy is between 8 and 9 in the morning when I do a few rounds of the sun salutation and then eat a bowl of warm oats, so on most days I ended up text bombing him. It’s considerably different than photo bombing, but seems to evoke the same level of annoyance from those who fall victim.

Me: Heyy
Me: Heyyyyyy
Me: Heyy
Me: Hay (is for horses. Lol!)
Me: Hi there

Two minutes pass.

Me: Hello

Another minute passes.

Me: HeyyyyyyOMGIHAVEACRUSHONYOUyyyy
Me: You have ten seconds to say hi back or we are thru!!!!!
Me: 10
Me: 9
Me: 8
Me: 7…7 ½
Me: 6

… You get the idea. Not only did I showcase my inability to countdown (seven and a half comes before seven,) but I also alluded to mental illness. Fortunately, I’ve since learnt how to deal with the afternoon radio silence while he is busy changing lives for the better at work.

Texting has become a main form of communication for most of us and this is a genuine cause for concern because it’s not the most authentic mode of interaction, given that we can edit, gap silences, and even get our girlfriends to craft the perfect message on our behalf. Aside from the absence of verbal and non-verbal cues such as tone, facial expression and body language, everyone decodes messages differently.

Now I’m going to try to use my brain for a bit because people are starting to accuse me of just letting it sit there and take up space in my head. According to Stuart Hall’s encoding/decoding theory, people interpret messages quite uniquely and personally based on several external variables, most notably life experiences and cultural background. And in a medium such as text messaging, which is often devoid of clear context, the receiver shapes the meaning of the message much more than the sender.

Don’t you find this so terrifyingly dangerous? Even though it was probably a massive waste of money and must’ve been such a pain travelling all the way to Brisbane, I guess this is why our world leaders have these annual summits instead of just trashing everything out in a Whatsapp group chat, right? Sure, u may now b able 2 mute us for a yr, Kim Jong-un, but tht’s not gonna stop us from gossiping abt how u just had ur stomach stapled in Beijing. We know what u did last summer, son. Haha!! N Obama is betting a nuclear missile tht ur gonna fix ur nose next, btw.

And those read receipts? Seriously???? As it is, there are already a multitude of ways I can experience rejection at any given moment. I don't need to know you read my text 8 hours ago and couldn't manage a simple reply. But could manage a retweet about some Manchester United player.

Then there is the issue regarding our overuse of humour, teasing and bantering, which is a classic approach of communicating without really saying anything of real significance. This is most typical of English-speaking cultures (read: British), as they tend to use sarcasm and irony as a means to imply affection rather than actually showing it.

“How about you go (sarcastic) at the end of your messages when you’re being sarcastic,” I proposed, after he sent me down the second-guessing spiral of doom once more. “No. How about every time I message you, you read it, and then flip a coin. Heads I’m sarcastic, tails not. Work out about right,” he retorted. “How about I just flip you the bird?” I quipped.

We’ve given texting the power to dictate much of our relationships. Overkill can ruin a potential relationship before it’s even had the chance to blossom, whereas not being attentive to one’s phone can send a message of indifference, particularly in the primordial stages of a burgeoning whirlwind romance. Finding that balance can be tricky, especially in this age where texting is now a necessary component of establishing human intimacy.

I’m still learning how to turn on my charm and negotiate between witty banter and meaningful conversation. But one thing I do know is that no talk is always better than small talk. Live by this rule. Cut the “Hey.” “Sup.” “NM, you?” Throat clearing (and climaxing) can be achieved autonomously.

I absolutely despise how we seem to determine who has the upper hand by playing the game of who-is-going-to-text-who-first. (No prizes for guessing who texts first 95% of the time.) I’ve never understood the connection between being the first person to text after a lull and being considered weaker and hence clearly no longer worth pursuing. I've been conditioning myself to be too cool to care, but I still don't get why we have to wait three days to call, blow them off to keep them at a distance, purposefully show up a little late, or let the phone ring at least eight times before answering.

We place so much weight on seeming detached and unavailable until the last possible moment, afraid we might scare them off by revealing our interest in them. “Wait, like, 27 minutes,” was the advice given to me by my sage friend, with all the world-weariness of someone who had clearly mastered the art of texting.

“Are you free this Saturday, for something completely unrelated to pasta and DVD?” he texted on Wednesday evening. I endured 2-Mississippi seconds – felt like eternity, mind you – before asking, “What would that be?” It’s always nice when a date is set up more than two hours in advance, suggesting that it involved a degree of forethought.